Building an extraordinary team is essential for any organization to succeed. However, creating a high-performing team is a complex task, requiring a lot of effort, patience, and commitment from both the team leader and the team members. This article will discuss the steps necessary to build an extraordinary team.
- Define the Purpose of the Team – The first step is being clear on “why” the team is doing this work. The leader should be clear about why the team exists, its goals, and what it hopes to achieve; the leader’s intention. This clarity will help the team members to stay focused and motivated to do the jobs they were hired for without handholding.
- Verify you have the Right People – The second step in building an extraordinary team is to have the right people doing the right work. This means the team leader should look at each team member’s skills, experience, and attitude and provide the training or development necessary so each person can contribute expertly. In this effort, the team member’s soft skills must be considered to ensure they fit well with the company culture and values.
- Set Clear Expectations – The third step in building an extraordinary team is to set clear expectations. The team leader should be clear about what is expected of each team member, their roles and responsibilities, and the team’s goals. This clarity will help the team members understand their roles and what they need to do to achieve the team’s goals. This also includes sharing the consequences of missed deadlines or failures.
- Foster Open Communication – The fourth step in building an extraordinary team is to foster open communication. The team leader should encourage the team members to communicate openly and honestly with each other. This communication can be facilitated through regular team meetings, one-on-one meetings, and other communication channels.
- Build Trust – Building trust is the fifth step in building an extraordinary team. Trust is essential for any team to function effectively. The team leader should encourage the team members to trust each other by creating a safe and supportive environment. Establishing this bond of trust is vital so each team member knows if they hit unexpected obstacles or difficulties in reaching their expected effort, they immediately share the concern. Hence, mitigation or resetting of goals is possible. Trust is built through open communication, transparency, and consistent actions.
- Provide Feedback – The sixth step in building an extraordinary team is to provide feedback. The team leader should give regular feedback to the team members on their performance, individually and as a team, and this feedback should be constructive, specific, and timely.
- Celebrate Success – The seventh step in building an extraordinary team is celebrating success. The team leader should recognize and celebrate the team’s big and small achievements. This celebration can be in public recognition, team events, or other forms.
Building an extraordinary team requires effort, patience, and commitment. By following these seven steps, a leader will create a high-performing team that is focused, motivated, and committed to achieving extraordinary results.