Board Leadership and Governance – Development
Board Leadership and Governance
This engagement aims to take the Board to the next level. It is a four-step process. Here is what I propose:
- Leadership and Governance Self-Assessment. This assessment is to be completed by each Board Member. Supervisory Committee Members can be included at the Chair’s discretion.
Through this assessment, Rich will learn the strengths, weaknesses, and areas of opportunity and development for each Board Member. The assessment will take approximately 30 minutes to complete and be provided to each participant 30 days in advance of the Board Development Meeting with the Board.
- Board Readiness Summary (BRS) – From these assessments, Rich will provide the Chair with a Board Readiness Summary one week before the Board Development Meeting. This summary will detail what was learned and identify specific areas of development for each Board Member and the Board as a functional team.
- Board Development Meeting – This can be a half-day working session with the Board the day before or after the planning session
The leadership and governance session aims to affirm the current Board policies and determine what is working, missing, and needs to be changed. The goal is to re-affirm the Board’s role and responsibilities.
Agenda for the Board Leadership and Governance Session:
- The Board Chair sets expectations for the session –5 minutes
- Review and discuss the Board Readiness Summary – 45 minutes
- Identify specific leadership steps the Board should take on – 30 minutes
Break – 15 minutes
- Identify specific concerns the Board has with current Governance Policies – 30 minutes.
- Identify where the level of governance needs to be changed (more or less) – 30 minutes
- Identify what changes can be made today and which need to be researched – 10 minutes.
- Set expectations for the presentation of recommendations to the Board that need to be researched – 10 minutes
- Facilitated discussion to a decision on changes to be made today – 45 minutes
4. Chairperson closes the meeting – 10 minutes.
Note: Agenda items can be amended to meet your credit union’s needs.